Pages

Welcome to my blog!

I am Buffy, I live in Iowa with my kitty cat Meowshine and stay rather busy trying to be healthy, eating right, working out, working my full-time job and running my own custom jewelry business on the side. Thanks for coming along for the ride :)



Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Memorial Day Recipe-Simple Orzo Salad

With Memorial Day weekend fast approaching, I thought I would share some of my favorite recipes to bring to grill outs and get-togethers.
This one is a newer summer favorite and have already made it twice (going on three times after this weekend). I wish I could take credit for this but I found it somewhere on the internet and tweaked it to my preference. Also wish I could tell you where I found the first copy but I’m not 100% sure. I think probably on SparkPeople…http://recipes.sparkpeople.com

Anyways, here is the recipe that I call ‘Simple Orzo Salad’

Ingredients
1 cup of orzo, uncooked
1 can of corn
1 can of black beans
1 green bell pepper
8 oz brick of 2% sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup of salsa
Garlic powder

Instructions
-Cook orzo according to package directions. Once done drain and rinse with cold water.
-Drain and rinse corn and black beans. Add to large bowl.
-Cube up cheese. You can make your pieces as big or as small as you like, but you want them in bite size pieces. I cube in pieces about ½ inch or less. Add to bowl.
-Seed and clean green pepper. Chop up. Again you can make pieces as big or as small as you like, just make them into bite size pieces. Add to bowl.
-Add Orzo, salsa and garlic powder to taste. I love garlic powder and probably use about 1 tbs but I don’t measure.
-Mix well. Cover and place in fridge for at least a few hours and then enjoy cold.

This recipe works well every where I have taken it. Usually camping and we just place it in a gallon bag so we don’t have a big bowl taking up room in our cooler. You can also add canned chicken or cut up chicken and make it a meal. It is so easy and so good!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 181.4
Total Fat: 2.4 g
Cholesterol: 4.8 mg
Sodium: 296.9 mg
Total Carbs: 29.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.0 g
Protein: 11.6 g

No comments:

Post a Comment