Pages

Welcome to my blog!

I am Buffy, I live in Iowa with my kitty cat Meowshine and stay rather busy trying to be healthy, eating right, working out, working my full-time job and running my own custom jewelry business on the side. Thanks for coming along for the ride :)



Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bootcamp!

Holy Bootcamp class! Ok when I saw the name “Extreme Outdoor Bootcamp” offered through my local Park and Rec, I thought that could be fun. It’s outside at the parks around town so I would get some fresh air, get a nice hard workout in, what is not to like about it? I thought it would be tough and push me, but jeez I obviously did not realize how tough it really was going to be. I have always known that I tend to push myself harder when I see others around me doing better then I am. When I ran my first 5k last year I thought I would run a little and walk most of it. But as all these runners kept running, when I would normally walk, I kept running. And I kept running until I absolutely had to walk for a bit. I ended up running most of that 5k which was a big accomplishment for me, the girl who didn’t run regularly.

So I guess I wasn’t surprised that I pushed myself harder then I normally would have during a normal workout, but I was surprised at how far I could push myself. My heart rate was through the roof the whole time. At certain points it was so high that I had to modify the moves down but I tried to keep the intensity as high as I could for as long as I could. I thought I was in much better shape then I really am. I mean I work out 6 days a week minimum, this shouldn’t be that hard…but it was.

The class started out with us warming up and then a ‘short’ run (the instructor said). There was nothing short about the run by any means, but I kept my pace slow and steady and just kept going. Then we did some arm exercises with bands. Then she had us run over to these picnic tables and had us do step ups on to the bench part. Then some other exercises, tricep dips, one legged squats (one leg was up on the bench part again, the other on the ground), etc. After that we hit the grass next to the picnic tables and did some more cardio. Crab walks, bear crawl, jumping jacks, burpies…basically more torture. This was the part my heart rate was highest and I had to modify the moves a bit. It was so high that I felt a bit dizzy and sick so I had to take some deep breaths and get it down.

Then we ran over a bridge and on to the stairs. Step ups, jump ups, etc. Then up the other set of stairs and ran back and forth, which was killer. Up and down, up and down, three times. The next station was running drills and then planks and what not. Then we were sent back down the stairs for some more arm exercises with the bands. Finally we ran over to do some push ups and core work with a partner. Then some quick stretching and the hour class was done. I ended up walking home (took me about 20 min walking at a leisurely pace) and by the time I got home and did some more stretches I had burned 778 calories. My arms were tired, my legs were jelly, my lungs tired from huffing so much. I was wore out!

Like I said the class was very tough and at times torture. But I am glad I am taking it because I know it is going to push me to be in so much better shape then I am in and I know it will help me reach my goals. Plus I get to take it with one of my favorite Sparkfriends and man that girl pushed me to keep on going. When I wanted to give up I kept going because I saw her in front of me, still going at it. The other people in the class and the instructor and her helper all seemed really nice and encouraging. I just need to remember next time that it is ok to go at my own pace sometimes and lower my intensity so I am not dying.

I was watching the BL last night after recovering from the class and eating dinner and I imagine that class was what those contestants go through during a last chance workout. Well that plus hours more of it. But like the contestants, I can safely say I left all I had on the ground at that park. I think I literally worked my butt off or at least part of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment