Pages

Welcome to my blog!

I am Buffy, I live in Iowa with my kitty cat Meowshine and stay rather busy trying to be healthy, eating right, working out, working my full-time job and running my own custom jewelry business on the side. Thanks for coming along for the ride :)



Friday, August 6, 2010

Recipe to use up abundance of tomatoes

On a quest to eat my massive surplus of tomatoes in different ways, I made this last night…
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1188925

This was the original recipe…
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=611651

I didn’t have a lot of large tomatoes so I couldn’t actually stuff the tomatoes. Basically what I did was took two cups of brown rice and prepared as instructed on the box. I did add a packet of Lipton onion soup mix to add flavor to the rice. I did not add any other spices to the recipe besides the soup mix.

Then I cooked up three chicken breasts and an onion on the stove. Towards the end I added about a tablespoon of garlic and cooked it through. Then I chopped up 3 large tomatoes and 6 or so roma size tomatoes, basically enough that I thought equaled 6 large tomatoes. Then when the chicken was done I layered in a 9x13 pan the rice, then tomatoes, the chicken onion mix and then added about ½ cup of 2% Colby jack cheese. Put it in the oven for 20 min at 400 degrees. Next time I might try layering it differently…rice, chicken onion mix, tomatoes and cheese. The chicken was a little dried out in places and I am not sure if that was because my chicken was over cooked on the stove or if because it was a bit freezer burned it was dry.

Over all it was pretty good. I might try some other spices too, but not sure what else to add. Maybe some parsley, basil, paprika…I’m not so good with the spices but those are the kinds I normally like. I think I made the original recipe last year and it was good from what I remembered, but I don’t know if I made any tweaks to the version I made.
It was pretty simple to make and didn't take a whole lot of time since I made it with minute rice. You could easily adapt to what you like and I was able to use ingredients I had without having to make a trip to the store. The onion soup gave it a great flavor but I think it could be even better with some more spices. Even as is I would definitely make again.

Thought I would share in case anyone was looking for a yummy way of using up some tomatoes with some pretty common ingredients you might have in your cupboards. If you try it out let me know what you think!

Happy Friday and hope you all have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment