Pages

Welcome to my blog!

I am Buffy, I live in Iowa with my kitty cat Meowshine and stay rather busy trying to be healthy, eating right, working out, working my full-time job and running my own custom jewelry business on the side. Thanks for coming along for the ride :)



Monday, March 21, 2011

Recipe to try this week...

I usually set goals for myself to accomplish for the week. It helps keep me focused and helps me refocus on the new week ahead. One of my goals this week is to cook at least one meal at home. I have been eating out a lot and am finding it hard to cook for one now. It's just one of those things I need to get back into the habit of. So here is what is on tap for this week...

Garlic Chicken and Spinach with Orzo

Ingredients

Chicken Breast, 12 oz
Orzo, Barilla, uncooked, 8 oz
Olive Oil, 2 tsp
Garlic, 1 tbs
Spinach, fresh, 3 cup
Campbell's low sodium chicken broth, 2 cup
Water, tap, 1 cup (8 fl oz)
Parmesan Cheese, grated, 4 tbsp

Seasonings...
Pinch of red pepper flakes
dried basil
Paprika
Original recipe called for fresh parsley and since I didn't have I used some dried

Directions
1. Add chicken broth and one cup of water to a pot, bring to a boil. Add orzo pasta, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, or until orzo absorbs most of the liquid. (leave some liquid in pot. Mine was mostly soaked up and made the orzo stick to the pot. I just added a bit of water to it)

2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the garlic and red pepper 1 minute, until garlic is golden brown. Stir in chicken, season with remaining seasoning and cook 5 minutes, until lightly browned and juices run clear. Reduce heat to medium and mix in cooked orzo. Place spinach in the skillet. Continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.(I served out one portion and added 1 tbs of the cheese to it)

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 400.5
Total Fat: 8.0 g
Cholesterol: 77.0 mg
Sodium: 481.5 mg
Total Carbs: 44.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.6 g
Protein: 37.9 g

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I'm in love with orzo (I get the whole wheat kind from Whole Foods). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete